Training, Awards, Experience
- 1984 M.D. College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University.
- 1980 D.M.H. Doctor of Mental Health Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco. Clinical Training, 1977-80, Mt. Zion Hospital, San Francisco.
- 1977 M.S. Health and Medical Sciences Program, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1975 B.A. Princeton University.
- 1995 Graduate, Boston Psychoanalytic Society & Institute.
- 1985-88 Resident in Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard University.
- 1984-85 Intern in Medicine, Transitional Program, St. Vincentâ€™s Hospital, New York.
Licensure & Certification
- 1996 Certification, American Psychoanalytic Association
- 1989 Diplomate in Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
- 1985 – Massachusetts License Registration.
- 2001 – Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst, Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute
- 1995 – Faculty, Boston Psychoanalytic Society & Institute.
- 1988 – Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine.
- 1988 – Clinical Instructor, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School.
Awards and Honors
- 2020, 2015, 2001, 1991 Jacob O. Swartz Teaching Award, Psychiatry Residency Program, Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine
- 1993 Nancy C.A. Roeske, M.D. Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Medical Student Education.
- American Psychiatric Association.
Administrative Leadership Roles in Education
- 1998-2000 Vice-Chair for Medical Student Education, Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of
- Medicine; 1998-2000 Director, Medical Student Program in Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine;
- 1995 Faculty. Training Program in Psychoanalysis. Boston Psychoanalytic Institute;1992-2000 Director and Developer, Introduction to Clinical Medicine course. Dean’s Office, Boston University School of Medicine;
- 1990 Faculty, Advanced Training Program in Psychotherapy. Boston Psychoanalytic Institute;
- 1988-1998 Associate Director of the Medical Student Program in Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine. Served on and chaired numerous educational committees at the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute, Boston University Medical School, and McLean Hospital regarding admission, training, faculty, training analysis, curriculum, promotion, ethics, and media liaisons. Guest lecturer and course instructor at Harvard University and Boston College.
Employment in Clinical Areas
- 1986 – Private Practice Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis.
Membership, Offices and Committee Assignments in Professional Associations
- In addition to national professional associations in psychoanalysis, psychiatry, and medicine, served, chaired, and held elected offices and invited memberships in psychoanalytic committees and societies regarding theater and film, literary theory, advanced psychoanalytic studies, outreach, medical student education, and institute administration, and medical school committees and national organizations regarding clinical education, recruitment, and administration.
- More than twenty-five years of teaching and supervising candidates in psychoanalytic training, residents in psychiatry, trainees in allied mental health disciplines, and medical students in a wide range of topics regarding psychoanalytic theory and practice, clinical psychiatry, and doctor-patient relationships in clinical medicine.